Food poisoning is one of the most common problems suffered by people these days. There are many reasons to why such condition arises. Food poisoning is mostly mild but can sometimes lead to deadly illness. Some of the symptoms faced by people suffering from this condition include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Some severe symptoms include fever, shills, dehydration, bloody stools, damage to nervous system, and abdominal pain. The symptoms vary from individual to individual.
Food poisoning can be cured at home if it is not a very severe one. Some of the home remedies are given below-:
- Avoid eating solid foods if vomiting or nausea is experienced. Drink lots of water and fluids like glucose, juices, etc. so that they substitute the solid food content.
- Small frequent clear liquid sips are also advised because they prevent your body from dehydration.
- Don’t drink caffeinated drinks, sugary drinks, or alcohol. This will cause more uneasiness.
- For adults, sport drinks are fine. They can drink Powerade and Gatorade but the drink should be diluted with water so that not excess amount of sugar is received by the body. Intake of too much of sugar leads to more critical situations.
- The best home remedy given to people suffering from food poisoning is lemon tea along with ginger in it. It will give relief as well as help to cure your condition.
- Once, vomiting or nausea has stopped, it is good to consume plain foods in small quantities. You can start with rice, wheat, low-sugar cereals, potatoes, breads, chicken, and lean meats. Milk can or cannot be given depending on the condition of the patient.
Medical treatment for how to cure food poisoning
The best treatment to cure food poisoning is to replace body fluids by drinking lots of water and nutritious fluids. Home remedies should be tried for one or two days but if they don’t show any effect then the patient should be admitted to the hospital for proper medical cure. Depending upon the severity, the treatment is done. Doctors first give diarrhoea and anti-vomiting medication. If the patient is suffering from fever, then medication for controlling fever is also provided during the initial treatment phase. Antibiotics are hardly required but in some cases they may be given by some doctors seeing to the condition of the patient. Patients who have developed food poisoning because of mushroom or eating pesticides contaminated foods are given aggressive treatments. These treatments include emergency intervention, intravenous (IV) fluids, and medications like antidotes or activated charcoal. Mushroom poisoning and pesticide contamination poisoning is very serious so it needs to be given special treatment and the patient is kept in the intensive care unit of the hospital. The important thing to note here is that patients should be taken to a specialist in case of food poisoning instead of giving prolonged home treatment. If the patient is not taken to the hospitals on time then their condition could worsen or lead to many other complications.